Top News Stories
Keep up-to-date with what SOSCP is doing by reading our News Blog below, or check out the news and events from the Central Okanagan Collaborative Conservation Program (OCCP)
The South Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Program (SOSCP) is pleased to announce the Regional District Okanagan Similkameen (RDOS) Board has received an award to acknowledge and celebrate local governments for their efforts in protecting biodiversity. The RDOS Board is being recognized with this award for their work in protecting rare species and ecosystems by establishing the...
Looking back over 2016, RDOS Board Chair Karla Kozakevich said a decision near the end of the year was one of the biggest accomplishments for the Regional District Okanagan Similkameen. Kozakevich, is the Area Director for Electoral Area E (Naramata) and said in an interview with Penticton Western News in early January, that “the creation of a regional...
The Alternate Approval Process to establish the environmental conservation bylaw completed last Monday at 4:30 pm with less than .1% of eligible electors in opposition. “I am very happy to announce the public approval of the bylaw that will create a Conservation Fund in the South Okanagan,” said Bryn White, SOSCP Program Manager. “Thank you to the...
Join the Okanagan Similkameen Conservation Alliance (OSCA) for their AGM, Saturday December 3rd at the Shatford Centre in Penticton at 2 pm. Come learn more about what OSCA has done this past year and what is in store for 2017! Meadowlark Festival, EcoStudies school programs, bird banding at Vaseux Lake and more.
The Okanagan Research Forum: Building a Resilient Okanagan Landscape, will be hosted by the UBC Institute for Biodiversity, Resilience, and Ecosystem Services (BRAES) and the UBC Institute for Community Engaged Research (ICER), in collaboration with partner organizations. The Forum will encourage knowledge sharing and dialogue between UBC Okanagan Researchers and the broader community, including government...
On July 7th 2016, the Regional District Okanagan Similkameen Board gave third reading to the service bylaw to establish a Conservation Fund for the South Okanagan region. This is a significant step in the establishment of the fund. The bylaw is now at the Inspector of Municipalities for approval, then it will come back to the RDOS...
At the City of Penticton Council meeting Monday June 20th, Penticton Council vote unanimously to join in to participate in a Regional Conservation Fund for the South Okanagan that will raise and allocate dedicated funding for conservation projects. “Environmental and conservation issues know no political boundaries” was one of the compelling reasons Council re-considered their decision to...
The referral period for the proposed motorized recreation site at Oliver Mountain has just been initiated. All comments on the proposal should be directed to Ian.McLellan@gov.bc.ca prior to July 7, 2016. Here is the FTP link with the RSTBC referral package Click here
At the April 28th RDOS Planning and Development Committee meeting, Area F Director Michael Brydon made a motion to establish a Conservation Fund that would be a sub-regional service in the South Okanagan. The proposed fund would requisition $10 per household per year on average for a period of five years to support conservation projects. The fund is...
The Nature Trust of BC has reason to celebrate. First, the conservation organization turns 45 this year. They have been successfully protecting land in BC for a long time, including focusing significant efforts here in the South Okanagan. Second, for 17 years they have been working toward securing an extremely important habitat type in one of the most...
After a century of wetland draining, ditching and destruction, community groups across BC are getting involved in wetland restoration. After losing 85 percent of our Okanagan wetlands, we are recognizing the importance of wetlands to biodiversity and ecosystem services, by recreating or enhancing them. One such highly successful project took place on the grounds of...
Past News Stories
- Working towards Healthy Shoreline Habitat
- Deadline Looming for Public Input on new ESDPA’s in Okanagan Rural Areas
- RDOS Area F Public Information Session: New Environmentally Sensitive Areas and Conservation Fund
- Public Input Sought for New Environmental DP Areas and Conservation Fund In Area C
- Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation Hiring
- Generous Donation to SOSCP
- Update on Penticton Restoration Project
- Penticton Creek Showcases Restoration Excellence
- SOSCP works with Transboundary Partners
- SOSCP Celebrates 15 Years of Conservation
- The Nature Trust of BC sets sights on key antelope-brush properties
- Okanagan wetlands benefit from new funds
- McLachlan Lake given a chance to live up to its name
- Garnet Valley Wildlife Habitat Protected
- Regional Conservation Fund proposal moves forward
- Volunteers sought for bullfrog monitoring
- Historic antelope-brush property saved
- Video explores benefits of conservation fund
- Got Bats?
- Help for amphibians trapped in pools
- Update on wild and domestic sheep separation
- Nick Burdock to oversee The Nature Trust activities in southern interior
- Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship Society Formed
- Okanagan River Restoration Phase II Completed
- TD Tree Day Celebrated at Ellis Creek
- Ritchie Lake Restoration – From Bad to Rad!
- Regional District Accepts Biodiversity Strategy
- NCC reaches fundraising goal for Elkink property
- Don’t move a mussel!
- Summerland Wildlife Habitat protected from ORV traffic – January – April
- Bobolink Meadows Restoration
- McTaggart-Cowan Wildlife Area Created
- National Park Study Released by Okanagan Nation
- New face for local government environmental planning support
- Nature Conservancy of Canada protects key grassland sites
- Partners Protect Wetlands in Garnet Valley
- Ducks Unlimited Canada and the Nature Conservancy of Canada partner to restore property
- “Aliens Among Us” exhibit at Penticton Museum
- New Real Estate Foundation video profiles SOSCP projects
- Aquatic invasive species
- SOSCP charts course for the future
- Conservation land transferred to Skaha Bluffs Provincial Park
- Burrowing Owls Released
- Twin Lakes Ranch purchase completed
- District of Summerland wins award for environmental excellence
- New SOSCP Guide to Establishing a Regional Conservation Fund
- Union of BC Municipalities endorse policies protecting the environment
- Nature Conservancy of Canada wins award for Darkwoods project
- Wineries support South Okanagan conservation
- Biodiversity Loss a Significant Business Risk
- Nature Conservancy of Canada receives support from Quail’s Gate Winery
- District of Summerland adopts Environmentally Sensitive Development Permit Areas.
- Oliver Council adopts new environmental and riparian development regulations
- The Sustainable Similkameen Project.
- RDOS Receives Award from Peers for Establishing Conservation Fund
- South Okanagan Conservation Fund One of the Biggest Accomplishments of Year Says RDOS Chair
- Conservation Fund for the South Okanagan Receives Public Assent
- Building a Resilient Okanagan Community Research Forum, Dec 5th, Kelowna Yacht Club
- OSCA AGM Dec 3rd at 2 pm – Shatford Centre Penticton
- Conservation Fund Given Third Reading at RDOS Board